Tuesday, May 8, 2012

6 Simple Steps for Inspiration


Have you ever just wanted to create something with your hands but have had a mental block and although you know you want to create something, it’s just not coming to you? Have you been asked to speak at an upcoming event and been given a title, but have to come up with the “meat” of the subject and it’s just not there? Have you committed to writing a blog every week, but have run out of ideas for posts? Are you writing a book and you’ve promised your editor copy by such and such a date, but have writer’s block? Have you ever been assigned to teach a group something, but don’t know exactly how to teach it?

I know I’ve been in almost all of those scenarios and it’s not a fun place to be when inspiration seems nowhere to be found. So where do you get your inspiration? How does inspiration come to us? Doesn’t it feel so GREAT when you have figured out exactly how it is that you’re supposed to give that certain speech? Don’t you just feel awesome when you’re supposed to teach a lesson and all the pieces just all seem to fit together? INSPIRATION – true inspiration, is what I’d like to talk about today. I find JOY when I’m inspired. There are things we can do that allow us to be inspired, personally and professionally.

  1. Having a positive attitude – when we forge ahead, working on a project with a positive attitude, it is only a positive outcome we will see. If I am working on a project and I’m dealing with angry, hurt or defensive emotions, nothing is going to come to me that will be worthwhile. Having that positive attitude gets the creative wheels-a-turning and the inspiration is more apt to happen.
  2. Having a good sense of humor – in this life, there are so many times we have to be serious, or do we? I say, let’s look at things in a silly way! Let’s make a funny face out of the facts! How many times have you been taught a lesson by someone when they’re cracking jokes and you remember what they’re teaching because they are having fun and have a sense of humor vs. someone who teaches with all seriousness? Someone once said, “A sense of humor is an escape valve for the pressures of life.” I totally agree!
  3. Staying quiet – sometimes while working on something and you’re having times of no inspiration, it is important to just stay quiet and listen… sometimes the answers are there and we are too noisy to notice the inspiration. The answers can be in nature. It could be by someone saying something around us. It could be a thought that comes to our mind but because we are being too noisy with our mouths we can’t hear with our ears. Just stay quiet.
  4. Practicing good health – Exercise, reasonable amounts of sleep, and good eating habits increase our capacity to receive and understand inspiration.
  5. Capturing your Dreams – keep a notebook by your bed! Inspiration can be given in a dream when there is an almost imperceptible transition from sleep to wakefulness. If you strive to capture the content immediately, you can record great detail, but otherwise it fades rapidly. Often times, dreams are very personal and when they are it makes it easier to understand and more likely to touch our hearts by teaching us through someone we love and respect. Make sure you capture these bits of inspiration by writing them down!
  6. Trusting in your Higher Power – for me this is God. When He has our trust, He will guide us! Sometimes I find myself saying “But I can’t handle it!” Those are the times that I have to give in and I hear my Heavenly Father say, “Then give it to me, and I will handle it”. I have to remember that God didn’t put me here on earth to fail, but to succeed gloriously! He wants me to be inspired! He wants me to inspire others through my CREATIVITY and through this I find JOY!

Do you have a positive attitude? Do you have a good sense of humor? Are you listening intently? Do you practice good health? Are you capturing inspiration from your dreams? Do you trust in your Higher Power? If you’re practicing these things, the chances of you being inspired to create better works of art, better speeches, teach better lessons, write better blogs and books will greatly improve by implementing these six simple steps. Let me know if you practice any of these six simple steps and how they’ve worked for you. What other things inspire you? I’d love to know this too! I LOVE feedback! And for those of you who came here by way of Brain Be Happy Notables, don’t forget to go back and read the rest of the exciting info!

Many hugs,
Cathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment